A Good teacher understands his students

Few days ago, my friend's son narrated me an incident that took place in his class. Even though he told me the incident like a joke, I couldn't enjoy it as it had subverted the very definition of a teacher. He told me that, the teacher called a boy who was wearing spectacles, "Hi Kannadi" (Bespectacled) and made fun of him. This indecent comment from a teacher, who suppose to inspire students by her actions incited a thought of an earlier incident which is still fresh in my memory.

I was studying tenth standard (Technical High school) at Seshasayee Institute of technology, Trichy, one of the prestigious institutions of those days. I used to come to school by train from a village, which is about 25 kms away from my school. Since the board examinations were nearing, they conducted special classes from 6:45 in the morning every day. Many of the students bring food for breakfast and lunch, but some could not afford two, and I was one among them.
The teacher for the second period finished his good lecture and went out of the class at exactly 11:30 am ordaining us to keep quiet until the next teacher arrives. The next teacher, Sri. B.R.Madhavan, called fondly BRM Sir by us, was about to come in few minutes. Since I didn't eat in the morning, I felt so hungry and I ran out of the class to a nearby water tap and drank a litre of water. When I came back, I saw BRM Sir sitting inside the class. He was a very disciplined man himself and expect the same from his students. He gently turned towards the entrance and saw me standing outside the class. I was trembling as if I was put inside the freezer for a day, when I saw BRM Sir gazing at me furiously. "Where have you been, you fool?" he roared. My tongue got stuck with my throat. I was trying to block the tears, which was about flow like a stream. I just appeared before him like a goat before a butcher. He looked in to my eyes. After two silent minutes, he asked me "Dai, did you eat in the morning?" Oh, suddenly all the tears, I stored at the tip of my eyes gushed like a fountain, I could not control anymore and cried and cried, My head was shaking sideways. BRM sir came out of the class and held my head in his palms. He took out money from his pocket and called another boy to accompany me to the school canteen. What can I say about BRM Sir? He was a real guru, not because he gave me food, but he understood his student. I pray many more BRM Sirs to come and invoke Guru in others as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dharbhai - An article by TRS Iyengar

Namasivaya and Sivayanama - What I read, Want to Share

A stone in my shoe