Child exploitation and Child abuse

Recently in the newspapers, one might not have missed to read the horrific news of a child abuse. A teen aged boy from Orissa was abused under custody by a barbaric house owner at various times at chennai. The article went on to reveal that such kind of atrocities continue at several places. These uncivilized people hire small children as servant maids for their houses or for other unorganised sectors like tea shops, hotels, automobile workshops etc. Employement of poor children has been existing since long ago. I have witnessed some of my school mates during 70's had worked in match factories, hand loom industries in a most depressing environment, receiving small money but heavy punishments.

At one corner, our country is enjoying "India shining" campaign. On the other corner we fail to notice the atrocities against children.

Whenever I hear such stories of child harassment, I arouse pity and wonder how people behave in such a horrendous manner against small children, who are equalled to God in our culture. I believe it starts with exploitation of weaker by stronger sections.

Hence I decided to examine myself to find out the true reason. I recalled my actions with my loving children. If I find some kind of exploitation of my own children, it would give direction to my search for finding cause for the abuse of unknown children who are virtually bought for money.

Within few minutes a long list fell before me. Starting from, asking my son for getting me the TV Remote, Ordering to bring a glass of water for my friend, Sending him to nearby stall to buy shaving cream for me and list continues. I am sure many would argue that, the children are getting educated by means of such petty activities.Though I agree with the outcome of the activity, I can say that behind the abetment is only the exploitation but not education. I suggest you to perform the exercise, the next time you call your child for such activity. This gave me the clear direction to my query.

Everyone of us want to enjoy the luxury of others doing the job for our sake.

This simple luxury expection is the root for child exploitation and abuse, I believe. Only the level of exploitation varies with person to person. A reasonably good person exploits to a little extent, a vitiated person exceeds any limit causing horror. It is the duty of everyone to follow our own conscience. This only will end the crime. Let us pray for it.

Comments

  1. I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popping in to say nice site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dharbhai - An article by TRS Iyengar

Namasivaya and Sivayanama - What I read, Want to Share

A stone in my shoe